edebug-spec of setf: why is the getter evaluated on set?

From: Bruno BARBIER
Subject: edebug-spec of setf: why is the getter evaluated on set?
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 12:09:45 +0100

Hi,

I'm using the gv package (and setf). I really like it.

But, I don't understand why the GETTER is evaluated, when edebugging a
'setf' expression.

For example, let's take that expression:

    #+begin_src elisp
    (setf my:undefined 7)
    #+end_src

and let's assume the symbol "my:undefined" doesn't exist yet (that is,
"not interned").

Evaluating that expression with edebug raises the error:

    Symbol's value as variable is void: my:undefined

Evaluating that same expression outside of edebug, just sets the
variable, as expected.

In other words, the debug spec of 'setf' currently is:

    (&rest [gv-place form])

shouldn't it be something like:

    (&rest [sexp form])

or is it a bug in how 'gv-place' is handled ?

Thanks,

Bruno.

PS: If it matters, I'm using GNU Emacs 27.2