Re: NS port and DESTDIR

From: chad
Subject: Re: NS port and DESTDIR
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 15:10:17 -0500

On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 9:23 AM Aaron Madlon-Kay <aaron@madlon-kay.com> wrote:
I was poking around packaging stuff and noticed that it seems `make install`-ing the self-contained NS port does not handle DESTDIR correctly. Is this intentionally not a supported use case?

(Forgive me if this has changed in the last couple years.)

The ns port "self contained app" puts everything inside the .app directory, which is very much the standard in the macOS world, and makes it possible to have, for example, multiple distinct emacs installations simultaneously, as well as to distribute emacs from a build-capable machine to other machines just by passing around the .app directory. (I gather that flatpak and snap are efforts to bring this sort of organization to other systems.) In this world, it's hard to see what DESTDIR would/should do. What were you expecting? Is there something that you're trying to do when building emacs that doesn't work? (My memory says that the options for macOS that ARE NOT self-contained are likely seriously underused, but since they're basically "do what you do on nearly every unix-like system", they should pretty much work, IFF you disable the self-contained app option.

Hope that helps,
~Chad