Re: Horrible new unsaved buffers dialog

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: Horrible new unsaved buffers dialog
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 10:48:52 +1300

On 2022-01-30 03:39, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
I don't want to bikeshed over this (even though I disagree),
so could we please put the new dialog behind a user option?

What would that user option be called?
kill-emacs-simple-dialog-box-when-called-from-the-menu?

I suggest `kill-emacs-minimal-mouse-dialog'.

And if the minimal version is the default, I think that the
dialog itself should contain a toggle to switch to the full
version.

How about a global `minimal-mouse-dialog-mode' though?

I've always thought it's great that when you trigger a query with
the keyboard Emacs prompts you via the minibuffer, and when you
trigger the same query via the mouse Emacs prompts you via a GUI
dialog, and that in both cases you get the same options -- but
conveniently offered for the input device that you were using at
that moment.

I'm not sure whether there are already other examples or if this
is the first, but this change feels like an instance of something
more general, in that triggering the command with the mouse is no
longer giving the same set of options to the user that they would
have had if they had used the keyboard.

A global mode would be a good way of saying "always give me the
same options" or "keep things more basic for mouse usage".

-Phil