Re: Display scaling?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Display scaling?
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 17:13:38 +0200

On 26.01.2022 08:55, Po Lu wrote:
It would be opt-in behaviour, of course.

I rather think it makes sense to make it opt-out: we should strive for consistent looks of fringes between ports, HiDPI included.

Or to make it opt-in for all ports (NS and PGTK included), and then decide on the default based on the collective user feedback.

Regarding fringes, I was going to suggest providing different scaled versions of bitmaps (which was already mentioned in this thread) -- having even two versions, 1x and 2x, should cover a lot of users -- but it seems like a half-measure that requires extra work from the bitmap authors.

Before going to vector formats, could we try tweaking the scaling algorithm first? E.g. when the scaling is 2x (which seems popular enough), the bitmap could be "zoomed up" without any fuzziness.

It could also be made customizable.

Downscaling seems less lossier than upscaling as well, so if the scaling factor is 1.5x (for example), the bitmap can be "zoomed up" to 2x first, and then downscaled to 1.5x using bicubic interpolation or etc. IIUC Gnome Shell uses this approach to implement fractional scaling for its UI elements.

Or if we were trying to pick an algorithm which can be found in some library, perhaps choose from one of these? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel-art_scaling_algorithms

Starting with "nearest neighbor". I'm curious how it would look on the built-in bitmaps.