Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 16:58:41 +0100

Hi Arash, hi Corwin

Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> writes:
> Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:
>
>> I surmise people who want TLS (just as, now, people who want
>> native-comp) must install MSYS2 and place it's bin directory directory
>> on the windows path before starting Emacs.
> I'm not sure about TLS, I had the impression that Emacs relies on the
> .dll only.

I think you are right Corwin with respect to native compilation. Eli's
opinion is that we don't have to pack the dependencies for Windows.
Please see the thread:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-01/msg01020.html

For other "convenience dependencies" he advised me to look at
nt/INSTALL.W64.  Here's the list of packages for features which,
ideally, should be available in a GNU-Emacs distro out of the box on
Windows:

  mingw-w64-x86_64-xpm-nox \
  mingw-w64-x86_64-libtiff \
  mingw-w64-x86_64-giflib \
  mingw-w64-x86_64-libpng \
  mingw-w64-x86_64-libjpeg-turbo \
  mingw-w64-x86_64-librsvg \
  mingw-w64-x86_64-lcms2 \

  mingw-w64-x86_64-jansson \

  mingw-w64-x86_64-libxml2 \

  mingw-w64-x86_64-gnutls \

  mingw-w64-x86_64-zlib \

  mingw-w64-x86_64-harfbuzz

So I'm more in line with Arash: Image-, XML-, TLS-, json-,
(un-)archiving- and some text shaping support should be available.

> My point was that currently the file emacs-28-deps.zip lacks
> dependencies.

Yes, thank you Arash for pointing this out.  (Did a quick check, TLS is
not working, PNG viewing and EWW is not connecting to https sites.)

Currently we have 19 DLLs in the /bin folder (28.0.91), whereas 27.2 has
77 DLLs!  Corwin could you please check your build configuration, maybe
together with Phil?  (I'm sorry, I'm still of no help here.)

--
Thank you

     Dieter

Best wishes