Re: [Patch] Add project.el command to replace symbol at point throughout

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Patch] Add project.el command to replace symbol at point throughout project
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 00:07:46 +0200

On 01.02.2022 22:09, Juri Linkov wrote:
After thinking more about this, I can't find a possible use for
read-string-defaults-function, because every call of read-string
provides own default value.  Also using read-regexp-defaults-function
in query-replace-read-from is not the right thing either - when
the users already customized it for e.g. occur, it would be too
unexpected when it will use a tag at point instead of from->to
pairs in query-replace.
Since query-replace is a very special command, the most uncontroversial
thing to do for a conservative approach would be to add two specific
variables (that later could be turned into options when needed):
Sounds reasonable, thanks.

If you're satisfied with the change, please go ahead and install the
patches.
So now patches are installed in master.

Thanks!

Could you try testing the new behavior in xref-find-references-and-replace? I'm seeing this:

- If there are no entries in history, I see the appropriate text in the first prompt (featuring the tag near point), but when I press RET, the next prompt which should mention the thing to replace, just has two spaces in a row. And indeed, the behavior is as if it's read an empty string.

- If there are history entries, and I press RET (to use the default FROM), it proceeds to do a search right away instead of prompting me for TO. And it uses the from-to pair from history instead of the current input.

project-query-replace-regexp seems all right, OTOH.