Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 17:24:09 -0500

>> First, are symbols-with-pos supposed to happen in bytecode that
>> doesn't deal with byte compilation?
>
> Symbols with pos are intended to be used only in compilation, native- as
> well as byte-.  They mustn't be output to .elc files.
>
>> If yes, why/when would such objects appear in GP bytecode?
>
> What does "GP" mean here, please?

I think he meant "general purpose".  So the answer is no,
symbol-with-pos should not occur in general purpose code.  And indeed
that's why you have that boolean var controlling `eq` to choose between
the slow version (used in the compiler) and the fast version (used
everywhere else).  The fast version is exactly the same as the
previous `eq` but it still makes the new `eq` slower because of the
extra choice between the slow version and the fast one.

>> The pseudovector part is not needed if we just extend Lisp_Symbol to
>> have an additional field 'position'.
>
> Yes.  I'm not sure we can do this, though.

I can't see why we couldn't but I can't see why it would help either.
We'd still have the problem that two different objects may need to be
considered `eq`, so we need `eq` to be slower.

        Stefan