Re: [External] : emacs-28 windows binaries available from alpha

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [External] : emacs-28 windows binaries available from alpha
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 09:43:13 +0200

> From: Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st>
> Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 22:35:39 -0600
> Cc: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>,
>  Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> > IOW, in the case of this small Elisp file, why would
> > Emacs depend on using a *.elc if present, and simply
> > give up if trying to use it raises an error.  The
> > source of truth is (should be) *.el, not *.elc.
>
> That sounds like a feature request to me:
>
> [wishlist] When an error occurs loading the ELC, attempt loading from
> the EL file (given the EL file is present locally).  Note, I didn't do
> any research to see if this could already be supported

There's no need for such a feature.  Emacs should simply load the .elc
file.  The failure to load does not AFAIU mean that the .elc file is
unusable.  At least the Emacs 28 version built without
native-compilation support has no problems loading it.

IOW, the problem is NOT that this .elc file cannot be used, the
problem is that we try to natively-compile a trampoline for it.  Thus,
there's no need to fall back on loading the .el file instead.