Re: recent change to yanking behavior of the clipboard

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: recent change to yanking behavior of the clipboard
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 09:18:14 +0800

> FWIW, every one of those changes has generated friction, so it's not
> like we should feel free to change it any way we like.

I see no point in sticking to behaviour obsoleted by the operating
system, such as storing cut text in the primary selection.  On X, every
client has to cooperate with every other client in order to have working
cut and paste, and a single client deviating from that is sufficient to
bring down the entire deck-of-cards.

We do that for the same reason that we adapt Emacs to changes in glibc's
memory allocator: not doing it will result in Emacs and/or the user's
system not functioning correctly.

> I don't understand the issue at hand well enough to have an opinion on
> whether the change is on the right side of the tradeoff, but there is
> clearly a tradeoff.

I have a solution to Noah's problem while preserving the new
improvements, but I need to see Noah's code to decide if there's a valid
reason to install such a change.