Re: Compatibility

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Compatibility
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 12:22:56 +0100

On Mon, Feb 07, 2022 at 11:27:49AM +0100, xenodasein@tutanota.de wrote:
> Was: Re: recent change to yanking behavior of the clipboard
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-02/msg00302.html
> From: tomas
> > Psychologically it is extremely... challenging that something "stops
> > working" under you, and you don't even know how that something is
> > called. Perhaps that's part of the reason for the sometimes strong
> > reactions elicited by some changes.
>
> But, why?  Things don't stop working just because, you/an admin makes
> the choice of replacing the current software with a different, newer
> one.

Bu they do. Hardware change. User expectations change, because new users
enter the scene. Environments change. Not long ago (in geological terms)
people in my bubble were cutting and pasting with selection/middle mouse
button, nowadays, with CTRL-C/CTRL_V. "My" bubble has been "invaded" by
Windows users, so to speak. OTOH, that is a Good Thing, because more
people get exposed to the idea of free software, ain't it?

I try as hard as I can to not react to this with resentment. Change is a
fact of life. OTOH, I like to choose what changes I follow along with and
which ones I try to avoid. If sofware supports me with that, I am thankful.

>      What am I missing?  This is an oft repeated experience and I feel
> unable to understand gist of this matter.

Change. It's a fact of life. That doesn't mean you or me have to like every
change whic comes along :)

(if I have understood you correctly, that is)

Cheers