Re: elisp-benchmarks

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: elisp-benchmarks
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 09:13:50 -0500

> However I would like to caution against using the 'total' line of these
> benchmarks and in fact suggest that it be removed entirely since it can be
> very misleading: it is in effect tantamount to a completely arbitrary
> weighting of the individual benchmarks.

Definitely: I should have excised it when copy&pasting, sorry.
Those benchmarks only make sense individually and you need to know what
they do to interpret the results.

> For the record, my own Relint benchmark (we all have our pets!) is at about
> 1.03 from the same baseline which is notable because it exercises a wide
> variety of operations, many of which weren't affected by any of the changes.

I encourage you to contribute it to elisp-benchmarks.
"All it takes" is a file which defines an `elb-relint-entry` function
whose execution takes a reasonable amount of time (I'd say more than 1s
but not too much more than 10s).

Of course, with Relint there's the extra issue that it involves
a package not included in Emacs.  For the SMIE test, I used `sm-c-mode`
by copying a snapshot of it into the `elisp-benchmark`, because the
intention was not to measure the performance of `sm-c-mode` but the
performance of SMIE.

        Stefan