Re: with-pgtk: C-; turns into plain ';'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: with-pgtk: C-; turns into plain ';'
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 16:11:52 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  raman@google.com
> Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 22:03:36 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > IMNSHO, not explicitly enough:
> >
> >   ** Emacs now supports being built with pure GTK.
> >   To use this option, make sure the GTK 3 and Cairo development files
> >   are installed, and configure Emacs with the option '--with-pgtk'.
> >   Unlike the default X and GTK build, the resulting Emacs binary will
> >   work on any underlying window system supported by GDK, such as
> >   Wayland and Broadway.
> >
> > No matter how many times I re-read this, I fail to understand that it
> > tells me not to use it on X, and it definitely doesn't warn me of any
> > downsides if I do.  A word of warning is definitely in order there.
>
> How about "the resulting Emacs binary is supposed to work with window
> systems other than X that are supported by GDK, such as Wayland and
> Broadway"?

I'd suggest something more explicit, like

  We do not recommend that you use this configuration, unless you are
  running a window system that's supported by GDK, such as Wayland or
  Broadway.  Running this configuration on X is known to have
  problems, like ...

(describe a couple of problems instead of the ellipsis).