Re: Windows binaries for emacs-28 status and TODOs

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Windows binaries for emacs-28 status and TODOs
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 10:50:03 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>,
>>   Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
>> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 21:03:10 +0100
>>
>> 1. Gnu Nano
>> 2. Vim (the ubiquitous text editor) [default]
>>
>> it seems the above are included in Git for Windows, for the following
>> there are links provided (supposedly when they are not found)
>>
>> 3. Notepad++
>> 4. Visual Studio Code
>> 5. Visual Studio Code Insiders
>> 6. Sublime Text
>> 7. Atom
>> 8. VSCodium
>>
>> And the final two programs are provided by the OS
>>
>> 9. Notepad (New)
>> 10. Wordpad (New)
>>
>> 11. Select other editor as Git's editor
>>
>> I find this quite astonishing that there is no mention of Emacs, all the
>> more because Linus is supposed to use µemacs a variant of it!  It seems
>> that the maintainers don't consider Emacs a "text editor"?

I asked a maintainer and he said it's just the case that nobody took the
pains yet to implement Emacs in
https://github.com/git-for-windows/build-extra/blob/main/installer/install.iss.

> They should have emacsclient, not Emacs.

Yes, I agree.

But then, the user has to know about emacsclient(w) AND how to set up
the server beforehand.

I believe it should also work for emacs.exe (which it is) and
runemacs.exe (which is not working, please see the attached image).  Or,
even better, suggesting a command line option for emacsclient(w) in case
the server is not running.  (Unfortunately I couldn't get emacsclient to
run with a command line option, probably a bug in the Git installer.:-/)

   Dieter

Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm
Zwingenberg, Germany