Re: [ELPA] New package: nspawn-tramp

From: Brian Cully
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: nspawn-tramp
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 15:21:18 -0500

On 2/19/22 13:11, Michael Albinus wrote:
Therefore, it appears in info pages as "TRAMP". In Elisp docstrings and
comments, we use "Tramp". It looks a little bit inconsistent, but it is
... history. This texinfo variable was declared long before I've ever
heard about Tramp.

        Ok, I can change it to "Tramp". Thanks for filling me in.

- Any reason why you want to have it as a separate package rather than
    add it to Tramp?

        TRAMP provides a plugin capability, which is being used by
        other packages, and it's already a behemoth. I see no need to
        include this directly within TRAMP itself, as its needs are
        perfectly addressed without.

I understand your ressentiments. OTOH, living outside the Tramp source
tree let you miss changes. For example, Tramp meanwhile doesn't hardcode
"/bin/sh" any longer, but uses tramp-default-remote-shell instead. Not a
big deal for now, but these little adaptions make a Tramp package more
consistent, because you would get such a change for free if your package
is bundled with Tramp directly.

All the same, I think it makes more sense for this package to live separately. In general, I much prefer to use plug-in mechanisms for extension when possible, as I believe the separation of concerns to lead to a more overall maintainable system. In this particular case, I think the functionality I'm providing is fairly niche. Even in the container space, systemd-nspawn containers aren't particularly popular.

On a personal note, I'm not willing to maintain this code if it's integrated directly into Tramp, because I don't feel that I currently have the needed expertise to do so. I've assigned copyright to the FSF, however, so if someone wants to take the code and integrate it with Tramp, rather than maintain a separate package, they are free to do so and have my blessing.

-bjc