Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 14:39:46 +0200

> From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
> Cc: arash@gnu.org,  corwin@bru.st,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>   phillip.lord@russet.org.uk
> Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 07:44:50 +0100
>
> > The dependency on the optional DLLs is implicit, because Emacs loads
> > them dynamically at run time.  You need to place the DLLs mentioned in
> > dynamic-library-alist defined in w32-win.el in the bin/ directory, and
> > _then_ repeat the process.  That's because we are talking about the
> > dependencies of those dynamically-loaded DLLs.
>
> I see, thank you for this concrete recipe.
>
> I'm a bit baffled, why is in dynamic-library-alist no harfbuzz

Sorry, forgot about harfbuzz.  We load that one by name.  (I can
explain why, but I don't think it's relevant to this discussion.)  The
name is fixed: libharfbuzz-0.dll.

> but gccjit, gdiplus and shlwapi are there

Ignore gdiplus and shlwapi, they are system libraries that you don't
need (and cannot, for obvious legal reasons) provide in the binary
package.  The reasons they are there are historical, and again
irrelevant.