Re: ELPA package submission: buffer-env

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ELPA package submission: buffer-env
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 14:40:43 -0500

> I would like to propose the following package for inclusion in ELPA:
>
>    https://github.com/astoff/buffer-env
>
> The immediate purpose of the package (for me) is to deal with Python
> virtualenvs.  But it should be useful when working on any project with
> dependencies that are not globally installed.
>
> Some time ago I started a thread on this list explaining why I thought
> Emacs should have better support for setting the process environment per
> project / buffer locally [1].  But it's not clear there's a case for a
> built-in facility; and while this package is not extremely beautiful it
> solves the matter satisfactorily.  So after quite some incubation time I
> decided it's worth sharing.

That sounds useful (and I think we should improve Emacs's core to better
support such features; we already have some ad-hoc
frame-local-environment support and it would be good to make that less
ad-hoc).

The default value for `buffer-env-command` is a gaping security hole, tho.
Any hope we can make this a bit less dangerous?

        Stefan