Re: Box face

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Box face
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 18:43:21 +1100

Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> Considering SES is part of Emacs core, I'm wondering why is there no box face
> defined in the
> core? A cell looks much better that way instead of just an underline.

You can add the :box attribute to any face. So, if you want the face
used by SES to highlight the cell to have a box effect, you can just
customise it by adding the :box attributes or make it inherit from one
of the existing faces which already have a box attribute.

I think this sort of thing is where themes come into play. I wouldn't be
surprised if some themes already set a box attribute for this
face. In most cases, I think it is probably best for the default face
definition to be as simple as possible and compatible with different
display environments while leaving the eye candy stuff to
themes which users can choose based on personal preferences.