Re: Toning down font-lock

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: Toning down font-lock
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 12:50:38 +0100

On Mon,  7 Mar 2022 at 18:55, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> And here is the code.  It's too much of a hack for core, but maybe
>> sufficiently useful for a package?
>
> Nice.  I'd suggest you merge `font-lock-ignore--test` and
> `font-lock-ignore--test-one` into a single (recursive) function.

The exclamation marks are not a recursive thing.  But I added `and' and
`not' rules that use recursion.

> I can't see why we shouldn't include it into core.

Okay, well, in this case this is how the patch would look like, modulo
the manual update etc.  (And I need to test more before merging.)

I changed a bit the meaning of the different rules, as explained in the
docstring.  So now you can say

```
(setq font-lock-ignore
      '((prog-mode font-lock-*-face
                   ! help-echo
        ;; Uningnore the rule that matches a defun
        (emacs-lisp-mode ! "(defun"))))

```