Re: Question about completion behavior

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Question about completion behavior
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 12:32:14 -0500

Po Lu [2022-03-09 21:46:06] wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>> But yes, I think this behavior you propose _must_ be optional, most
>> probably opt-in for starters.  Not everyone will want it.
> I agree completely.  I'm sure many people have developed a lot of muscle
> memory regarding completion, and even tiny changes will probably be a
> nusiance to them.

Then again, it's only by enabling it by default that we'll get a clear
picture of which changes are annoyances are which aren't.

So I'd start by changing the default on `master` and after a month or
so, collect feedback to decide how to go about adding it: either by just
changing the behavior willy-nilly, or introduce it but add an option to
revert to the old behavior, or leave the default unchanged but add an
option to get the new behavior, ...

        Stefan