Re: Question about completion behavior

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Question about completion behavior
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 12:21:08 +0100

On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 08:34:18PM +0200, Juri Linkov wrote:
(for example to remove it or add properties like intangible, a face etc)
could we also add a sort of counter there to indicate the total number
of candidates?

Good idea.

Done, please check it. Should we give it a default value?

Thanks.  Maybe better to have the whole string with all text properties
as the default value of 'completion-header-text-property-list'
that then could be renamed to e.g. 'completion-header-string'?

I don't know a simple way for creating a string with the properties in a
single call.  We may need a sort of wrapper function that initializes
the string and call set properties in a single call otherwise the user
may need to do it manually...
Something like:

(defun make-text-with-properties (string properties)
       (let ((out string))
            (set-text-properties ...)
            out))

Any better idea?

The other detail is that there are 2 strings: "Possible completions are"
and "There are no possible completions of what you have typed."

Regarding 'completion-lazy-count': it would be even better to allow
customization of this format like in 'icomplete-matches-format'
that was recently added in 28.1.

Probably the best is to join the two variables in
completion-header-string and allow it to have a %s for a count... I will
go in that way.

Is it OK?
Best,
Ergus