Re: Select completions from the minibuffer

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Select completions from the minibuffer
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 19:52:15 +0100

On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 07:47:11PM +0200, Juri Linkov wrote:
>Isn't it very similar to the region?

I don't think so... I think it is more similar to the mouse-face
feature / text property.

Why do you think so?  The region is redrawn when the cursor moves, and
the cursor moves as result of Emacs commands, so how is this very
different from what you want?  By contrast, the mouse highlight is
triggered by mouse movements that are completely independent of Emacs
commands, and the implementation, as part of the display engine, is
therefore quite complicated.  Whereas the region display is nowadays
implemented completely in Lisp.

Ok, then it will be similar to the code I already have in
completions-highlight-mode.  Essentially add/move an overlay on post
command hook based on some conditions.

You could just add your function to the default value of
pre-redisplay-functions, e.g.

 (defvar pre-redisplay-functions (list #'redisplay--update-region-highlight
                                       #'redisplay--update-mouse-face)

where the new function 'redisplay--update-mouse-face'
will activate the mouse-face when the cursor moves
over the mouse-face property (only when an additional user option
will be enabled).

Sone, please check it... I will add the extra option in a moment.