Re: Defaulting DBus support on macOS to 'off'?

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Defaulting DBus support on macOS to 'off'?
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 14:39:53 +0100

    >> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
    >> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
    >> Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 18:21:25 +0800
    >>
    >> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > DBus support is currently autodetected, which means it can get enabled
    >> > on a macOS --with-ns build, where itʼs basically useless. Would there
    >> > be any objection to defaulting it to 'off' on macOS
    >>
    >> Yes.  It can't possibly hurt to have D-Bus enabled for people who have
    >> the development files installed, especially since it can work on macOS.

    Eli> Robert didn't suggest to delete the DBus support on macOS, he
    Eli> suggested to default it to OFF.

Exactly. We can discuss if that should be 'off in configure', or
'built if found, but off in Emacs' (Iʼd prefer the former).

    Eli> If having it default to ON annoys many users, I think it's a
    Eli> reasonable suggestion.

I dislike programs that log messages to my terminal when thereʼs
nothing really wrong:

$ src/emacs
dbus[2171]: Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did
not provide a socket path, verify that
org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!

although to be fair I think this message comes from libdbus, not from
Emacs.

Robert