Re: master f8bb6cca33: Return the same file from locate-file in nativeco

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master f8bb6cca33: Return the same file from locate-file in nativecomp and non
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 14:09:23 -0400

>> I assume you don't have a `simple.eln` file in your
>> `native-comp-eln-load-path`, so nil seems correct.
> So you are saying that finding the .eln file produced from simple.el
> is not something we should support, like we do with the *.elc files?

`locate-file` is a function that doesn't rely on external
config variables.  It should do its job based exclusively on the
arguments it takes and the state of the file-system.
If you're looking for a file named `simple-<HASH>.eln` then you will
have to pass that <HASH> either in the first or the third arg.

It can definitely be a useful building block to find a `.eln` file, but
its job is not to find `.eln` files.

Are you confusing it with `locate-library` maybe?

>> > Or what about load-history -- why does it only show the *.elc files
>> > loaded by the session, but not the *.eln files?
>> To better preserve compatibility.
> Compatibility with what?

I can't remember but I remember that Andrea first had the `.eln` file in
there and then changed it to the `.elc` to fix some compatibility problems.

        Stefan