Re: Supported/Bundled CSV support?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Supported/Bundled CSV support?
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 10:57:57 -0400

> I think having built-in CSV support that abstracts away the various
> details of parsing the various CSV variants will allow the emacs Dev
> community to focus on user solutions  e.g.:
>
> A. Seamless data import/export
> B. Support the processing of larger amounts of data via org-table and the like
> C. Json support vastly sped up modules like lsp and eglot; I'd expect
>    the same once we cross the chasm with respect to making CSV support
>    a built-in detail that elisp developers can take for granted.

You might be right, but if so you're talking about a very different kind
of "CSV support" than the kind I'm familiar with (which is the support
to manually edit/browse a human-generated CSV file, as offered by
`csv-mode`).  You seem to be talking about code to efficiently parse
a whole CSV file into a Lisp representation (list of lists or better) or
to generate a CSV-formatted string from such Lisp representation.

Is that right?  In that case, indeed `csv-mode` is of no
help, basically.

        Stefan