Re: Bigger fringe bitmaps

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bigger fringe bitmaps
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 14:57:00 +0200

> From: Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@thregr.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 10:44:54 +0100
>
> > Emacs doesn't know how to scale a font at display time.  The font is
> > "scaled" (or, rather, selected) when the face using the font is
> > defined.  So dynamically changing the font of a face when the user
> > plays with fringe-style would be another complication that needs to be
> > taken care of.
>
> Mhh, I'm not sure if we added some sort of connection between the fringe
> sizes and fringe face, which one would prevail? Setting the fringe size
> (which right now is just a fixed pixel size) could implicitly set the
> fringe face size being used, and/or vice-versa.

I didn't say it's impossible, I said it needed to be taken care of.
Changing a face means recomputing all the faces on the frame as well,
and currently setting a fringe style does nothing of the kind.

> > How is this different from what overlay-arrow already does?  It is
> > even more flexible, as it is not limited to a single column.
> <...>
> > In what way does it not behave the same?
>
> I agree it's more powerful, but the overlay-arrow shares the same space
> with the buffer, so it can hide existing information. I like the fact
> that the fringe is a minimal, non-shared, space.

How would you go about not sharing the screen space with the buffer,
when the display is a TTY?  What else is there that we could use
instead?

> The node does say:
>
>   On a graphical display the contents of the string are ignored; instead
> a glyph is displayed in the fringe area to the left of the display area.
>
> Maybe it should be:
>
>   On a graphical display, or when the left fringe is disabled, the
> contents of the string are ignored; instead a glyph is displayed in the
> fringe area to the left of the display area.

You mean, when left fringe is enabled, right?

I made the text there more accurate, thanks.