vc-annotate: vc-annotate-prev-revision does not work for renamed/moved f

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: vc-annotate: vc-annotate-prev-revision does not work for renamed/moved files (Git/HG)
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 08:47:42 +0100

Hi

In some repositories I mv or rename files quite a bit, while vc-annotate
works fine for files that has not be moved or renamed, the same does not
hold for renamed files, in particular, vc-annotate-prev-revision fails.

Here are two short scripts to emphasise my point

First GIT:

git init
echo "First" > test.org
git add -A test.org
git commit -a -m "First"
echo "Second" >> test.org
git commit -a -m "Second"
echo "Third" >> test.org
git commit  -a -m "Third"
echo "Forth" >> test.org
git commit  -a -m "Forth"
mv test.org testnew.org
git add -A
git commit  -a -m "Renamed file test.org to testnew.org"

Then HG
hg init
echo "First" > test.org
hg add test.org
hg commit  -m "First"
echo "Second" >> test.org
hg commit  -m "Second"
echo "Third" >> test.org
hg commit  -m "Third"
echo "Forth" >> test.org
hg commit  -m "Forth"
hg mv test.org testnew.org
hg commit  -m "Renamed file test.org to testnew.org"

In both cases vc-annotate-prev-revision fails in the file testnew.org

Any change to get such a feature be implemented?

Thanks and regards

Uwe Brauer

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.