Re: replacing hexl-mode with nhexl-mode?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: replacing hexl-mode with nhexl-mode?
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 12:47:23 -0400

> Feel free to fix that, but at least on my system not all of the issues
> I see are solved when I visit the file literally: the jagged display
> at the right is still there.  I guess it's somehow caused by the glyph
> used to display the LF character (and I expect the same to happen for
> TABs), but it is still ugly and should be fixed, IMO.

Indeed, `nhexl-mode` was not designed as a plug-in replacement for
`hexl-mode`.  If there's a real desire to replace `hexl-mode` with
`nhexl-mode` then Someoneā„¢ will need to go and fill those holes.

> Another missing feature is the ability to mark and copy the hex
> display part.  hexl supports it, but nhexl doesn't, it seems: it can
> only copy from the right column, where the actual file's contents are
> listed, but not from the hex display part.

I vaguely remember working on getting some of that working, but I don't
think it's possible to make it work 100% like in hexl-mode (IIRC you
needed to get into `nhexl-nibble-mode` in order to copy/paste the hex
text and then there's the question of whether that should copy only the
hex text, or the combined hex+nonhex text, etc...).

        Stefan