Re: master af0ea35ea0: Tweak how functions are formatted in Implementati

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master af0ea35ea0: Tweak how functions are formatted in Implementation in *Help*
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 14:12:41 -0400

>     Lars> @@ -1098,7 +1098,7 @@ MET-NAME is as returned by
> `cl--generic-load-hist-format'."
>     Lars>          (dolist (method (cl--generic-method-table generic))
>     Lars>            (let* ((info (cl--generic-method-info method)))
>     Lars>              ;; FIXME: Add hyperlinks for the types as well.
>     Lars> -            (insert (format "%s%S" (nth 0 info) (nth 1 info)))
>     Lars> +            (insert (format "%s%S" (nth 0 info) (cons function
> (nth 1 info))))
>
> Is it worth applying `upcase' to the (nth 1 info) so the result looks
> more like C-h f output?

If so, we should be careful to only apply it to the argnames but not to
the specializers since these are case sensitive.

The above patch also leads to odd results for methods with qualifiers.
E.g. `C-h o cl-generic-generalizers RET` shows things like:

    :extra "cl-struct" (cl-generic-generalizers type) in ‘cl-generic.el’.

    Undocumented

which I find rather confusing.  I understand the motivation for the
change, but I'm not sure it's an improvement.
(and I don't know what would be a good way to combine the qualifiers
with the function name).

        Stefan