RE: [External] : Re: master 5c70ff9: New user option 'font-lock-ignore'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: master 5c70ff9: New user option 'font-lock-ignore'
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 15:28:51 +0000

[I haven't found the beginning of this thread,
even by searching the mailing list archive...]

FWIW, I proposed a related feature back in 2007,
and again in 2014 (both here and with a patch in
bug #18367 - see links below).

It lets you use text-property `font-lock-ignore'
(same name - surprise! ;-)) to make font-lock
ignore text with that property - "Hands off!".

This means, in particular, that font lock won't
erase or otherwise interfere with non-font-lock highlighting that you apply.
You can highlight
and unhighlight text independently (or not) of
`font-lock-mode'.
___

The code is here:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/font-lock%2b.el

I've been using it since 2007.  It's used, e.g.,
in my libraries `highlight.el', Bookmark+, and
`facemenu+.el'.
___

And before people reply with "Use `font-lock-face'
or `font-lock-extra-managed-props'": No - they
don't do the job at all, as was discussed here
at the time.

Quite the contrary: they just make `font-lock'
_also_ manage the text with the given property;
e.g., turning off `font-lock-mode' turns off any highlighting with that
property.  The point is
not to give font-lock more control; it's to be
able to _remove_ control by font-lock from given
text.

See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18367#38
___

2014 emacs-devel thread: