Re: Why does signaling an error not call set-message-function?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Why does signaling an error not call set-message-function?
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 09:14:58 -0400

> AFAIR, the set-message-function feature is explicitly for controlling
> the output that goes via calls to 'message'.  Maybe we should
> emphasize this in the doc string.

OTOH which echo-area message goes through `message` and which goes
through some lower-level C function is largely an implementation detail
(e.g. in order to know that uncaught errors get displayed without going
through `message` the user has to read the C code, AFAICT), so I think
it makes sense to try and make sure we go through `set-message-function`
whenever possible.

        Stefan