Re: Should project delegate project-find-regexp?

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Should project delegate project-find-regexp?
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 18:10:15 +0200

On Thu, Apr 07, 2022 at 05:30:21PM +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
On 07.04.2022 14:48, Joel Reicher wrote:
It seems to me that, at least in the case of git, 'git grep' offers a superior
implementation to anything offered by the generic implementation of
project-find-regexp.

Last I checked, there was no way to make 'git grep' search in untracked files.

That would be a violation of the contract.

And of course we'd have to spend the effort to teach it about user-customized error patterns.

If 'git ls-files' + 'xargs rg' gives similar performance, that's probably good enough. Though serializing the list of files back and forth adds its overhead, which is unfortunate.

Just a question here.. why to use 'xargs rg'... AFAIK rg already perform
a parallel search..