Re: compile on MacOS, Install and config information is a bit confusing

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: compile on MacOS, Install and config information is a bit confusing
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 19:19:58 +1000

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> [[S/MIME Signed Part:Undecided]]
>
>>> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
>>> Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 08:27:09 +0200
>>>
>>> Reading the INSTALL file in the nexstep directory I find
>>>

>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>>
>>> However when I run this option, I obtain a warning
>>> (I have seen in GNU/Linux)
>>>
>>> ,----

>>> `----
>>>
>>> Isn't this a  bit confusing.
>
>> Why is it confusing?  What is unclear about that warning?
>
> This part is *not* confusing, what is confusing that this option is
> *not* mentioned in the INSTALL file in the nextstep directory.
>
> It is not coherent, to recommend to use
>
>   ./configure --with-ns
>
> And then let a message tell you to use a different option

That warning has nothing to do with the --with-ns option. You see that
warning on GNU Linux as well. It is there to inform those building Emacs
that it no longer includes support for POP.

BTW I would also recommend switching from fink to homebrew. I found fink
packages were often out of date or had long standing issues which did
not seem to get resolved (this was some years back). Homebrew on the
other hand I have found to be pretty good.