Re: master 3b41141708: Expose the name of an event's input device to Lis

From: Brian Cully
Subject: Re: master 3b41141708: Expose the name of an event's input device to Lisp
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 22:45:02 -0400

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> No, Lisp code will decide based on the class of your device (on X,
> that's calculated based on the name) _and_ the events it is currently
> generating that it has capabilities x, y and z.

        This is what’s not clear to me. Is Lisp code that’s shipping as
part of the standard Emacs distribution making this classification, or
am I doing it in my user customizations?

        My understanding is that X (and Wayland) pull their
classification from evdev/libinput, which itself pulls from the HID
descriptors. The name of the device doesn’t figure, except for things
like desktop input settings panels, as a way to differentiate devices.

        I can (and do!) change how some of my USB devices present
themselves without changing their names. I’ve never had any kind of
issue, so I’m not sure why the name would be considered important
information in terms of classification.

        I /do/ see the value for user customization, similar to how
desktop input settings also differentiate devices based on their name to
customize behavior, but this seems to me to be a user-level concern, as
long as there is machinery to support it. If that’s what you’ve been
suggesting, I apologize, as I haven’t read it as such (perhaps I’ve
missed the forest for the trees here).

-bjc