Re: master 3b41141708: Expose the name of an event's input device to Lis

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 3b41141708: Expose the name of an event's input device to Lisp
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 09:49:03 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,  rms@gnu.org,
>   monnier@iro.umontreal.ca
> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:17:46 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > We've been through this: the second mouse should have its buttons
> > numbered starting from some number N to distinguish it from the first.
> > For example, N could be 11, so the buttons are mouse-11, mouse-12,
> > etc.
>
> How do you decide which mouse is the "second mouse"?

Why is this detail important?  Conceptually, some code that runs at
Emacs startup will enumerate the mice and decide which one is which
and how to name its buttons.  Are you saying that this is impossible
in principle?

> Hmm, then I suppose a better anology would be
> `overriding-terminal-local-map'.  If I connect the second mouse to a
> different X display, I can make input from that mouse behave differently
> by changing the keymap for the terminal associated with that other
> display.
>
> Why shouldn't I be able to do that with the second mouse when it is
> connected to the same X display as the first mouse?

I think the question is rather "why do you think you _have_ to be able
to do the same when a second mouse is connected?"  IOW, if this second
mouse can be handled by existing Lisp-level infrastructure, why do we
need to introduce new infrastructure, and one that leaks low-level
information to Lisp on top of that?