Re: master 3b41141708: Expose the name of an event's input device to Lis

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 3b41141708: Expose the name of an event's input device to Lisp
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 12:10:47 +0200

Brian Cully <bjc@spork.org> writes:

>       Moreover, it appears as though, at least with udev and libinput,
> device names are *not* unique.

By default, that's true -- it's left as an exercise to the user to name
the devices uniquely if the users want to distinguish between them.
Most of the time it doesn't matter whether a keyboard shows up as
event12 or event13, after all.

If it does matter, the user has to set up udev rules to map something or
other from the device to a specific name.  (I remember I once had three
USB DVD readers that would show up in random order, and they didn't have
any distinguishing characteristics -- no serial numbers or anything.  So
I had to flash them each with a different firmware so that I could work
off of the firmware number and give the devices a stable name.)