Re: etags name collision.

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: etags name collision.
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:52:59 +0200

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 04:38:38PM +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
On 11.04.2022 16:18, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
2) Why do we create an executable with a name that is used by another
very wheel known program.
It's the other way around: ctags was a very old Unix program, and
Emacs developed a GNU version of that program.  Universal ctags came
much later.  So you should ask them why did they decide to use a name
that was already taken.

Even the very old version of ctags that's distributed by most of GNU/Linux distributions these days (Ctags 5.9~svn20110310) supports more languages than etags. Like ~50% more languages.

So it shouldn't come as a surprise that the our version of ctags was never accepted as a true continuation or replacement.

It's not like we're doing a particularly active development of it either.

Do one thing and do it right...