Re: MacOS signing

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: MacOS signing
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 16:03:53 +0200

    >> Perhaps someone who actually uses macOS can explain this better.

    Uwe> Which version of MacOS is this? I am using, partially, 10.15 and still
    Uwe> can build my own Emacs. I have not upgraded MacOS to newer versions,
    Uwe> since fink still has problems, but if it is true that MacOS follows
suit
    Uwe> iOS policy, as RMS suggests, and jails non signed software, I have a
    Uwe> reason more *not* to upgrade.

Newer versions of macOS will still let you run unsigned
software. Depending on how you launch the program, you may have to
perform extra steps via the Security preferences panel, but it doesnʼt
stop you.

FWIW, I never have this problem because I launch Emacs from the cli,
which sidesteps this particular nonsense.

(this is for macOS 11.6.5, Big Sur. Later versions may behave
differently)

Robert