Re: Proposal: add a binding for `imenu' under M-g

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Proposal: add a binding for `imenu' under M-g
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:20:10 +0300

> * when I reach for M-s commands (isearch-forward-*, occur,
>   highlight-*/hi-lock-*), I feel like I am looking for a command that
>   operates on a set of _matches_ (jumping successively through the set,
>   collecting & displaying the set, highlighting the set),
>
> * when I reach for M-g commands, I feel like I want to jump to "precise"
>   locations, i.e. locations that are not defined by pattern matching,
>   but by some other semantics (e.g. line numbers, error reports).
>
> So M-. could very well bound to M-g d and/or M-g M-d, and it wouldn't
> break my (perhaps twisted) grokking of the M-g prefix: I use it to visit
> the "canonical" location for a symbol, defined by TAGS files, LSP
> servers…  though it's true that M-. sometimes does "match" more than one
> locations.
>
> Consequently, having imenu on the M-g prefix sounds more natural to me.

Do you think that additionally to 'M-g i' imenu should be bound also to 'M-g
M-i'?
Then it could be typed without releasing the Meta modifier.  But the problem is
that 'M-i' is equivalent to 'TAB', so this means taking the keybinding 'M-g TAB'
that might have more sense for another command associated with TABs like
navigating to the next link, then 'M-g S-TAB' to the previous link, etc.