RE: [External] : Re: master 1b71c995da: Avoid binding mouse-1 in xref wh

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: master 1b71c995da: Avoid binding mouse-1 in xref when mouse-1 doesn't follow links
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 15:34:15 +0000

> > Hmm... this won't adjust if `mouse-1-click-follows-link` is changed
> > later on.  Why do we need this `mouse-1` binding?
>
> Dmitry seems to like the two different actions (which only differ in
> whether the other buffer is selected or not).  I'd be fine with
> removing the mouse-1 binding.

Bug #35353:

 I use `mouse-1-click-follows-link' = nil.
 (I use `mouse-2', not `mouse-1', to follow
 clicked links, buttons, etc.)  But this
 setting seems to have no effect in buffer `*xref*'.

 Except by clicking on a file line (it seems),
 I find it impossible to click `mouse-1' without
 having Emacs follow a link; impossible to set
 point in the buffer using `mouse-1'; no way to
 just click buffer text to select its frame.
 What's that all about?

For which you've said:

 Lars>> we don't honor mouse-1-click-follows-link.
 Eli> FWIW, I don't see that as a serious issue in
      this case.  Feel free to close as wontfix,
      if you want.

But you said today that you fixed (this part of)
the reported bug, for Emacs 29.  I hope so.