Re: Not able to display \u110BD and \u110CD in Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Not able to display \u110BD and \u110CD in Emacs
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:03:10 +0300

> From: समीर सिंह Sameer Singh <lumarzeli30@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 10:22:00 +0530
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>  I suggest to use font-at to get the font-object you need for
>  font-get-glyphs.
>
> I had already used that and got
> #<font-object "-GOOG-Noto Sans
> Kaithi-regular-normal-normal-*-23-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1">
> but font-get-glyphs was not accepting it.

"Not accepting" how?  It works for me, so I don't understand what goes
wrong in your case.

>  So the character is actually visible, it is just displayed as a thin
>  space.  Which means that either its glyph in the font is like that, or
>  that the font lacks a glyph for it.  What does "C-u C-x =" say when
>  the cursor is on that thin 1-pixel space?
>
> position: 89 of 89 (99%), column: 0
>             character: 𑂽 (displayed as 𑂽) (codepoint 69821, #o210275, #x110bd)
>               charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
> code point in charset: 0x110BD
>                script: kaithi
>                syntax: w which means: word
>              category: L:Strong L2R
>              to input: type "C-x 8 RET 110bd" or "C-x 8 RET KAITHI NUMBER
> SIGN"
>           buffer code: #xF0 #x91 #x82 #xBD
>             file code: #xF0 #x91 #x82 #xBD (encoded by coding system utf-8)
>               display: by this font (glyph code):
>     ftcrhb:-GOOG-Noto Sans
> Kaithi-regular-normal-normal-*-23-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#x48)

Since this shows the "by this font" part, it means the character _is_
displayed according to the font's glyph for it, and according to
Emacs's rules for displaying such "format-control" characters.  So now
I don't think I understand why you say this character is not shown by
Emacs, when the above clearly says it is displayed.

> In the character section the character is not displayed in emacs but
> displayed in firefox, but it is displayed in
> the decomposition section in emacs. I have attached the images
> Opening the font file in font forge also shows their glyphs

You are confusing the display of a lone codepoint with what Font Forge
does and what Emacs does in the "decomposition" display.  Those do not
show the lone character, they show it with special characters before
or after, to show how the character will look when combined with
others.

IOW, I think your expectations from how this character should be
displayed as a lone character are incorrect.

Can you tell why you want this to be displayed differently when it is
a lone character?  AFAIU, the only meaningful display of this
character is when it precedes numerals.