Re: MS Windows double buffering

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: MS Windows double buffering
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 13:34:32 -0400

On 4/30/2022 2:50 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
  . w32term.c is also used in the Cygwin w32 build, (which produces a
    Cygwin Emacs that uses the native MS-Windows GUI functions instead
    of X).  Will this code work in that build?  If not, the new code
    should be ifdef'ed away on Cygwin.  Ken, can you please chime in
    and help us DTRT here?

I just built the Cygwin w32 build from git commit 0ea0aa255 and evaluated

  (while t (redraw-display) (redisplay))

I saw some flicker in the menu bar but nowhere else. I tried the same thing in a Cygwin w32 build of emacs-28.1, and there was severe flickering throughout the frame. So there's a noticeable improvement.

I'll keep testing over the next few days and let you know if I see any problems.

Ken