Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 09:22:14 +0200

    >> On 03.05.2022 07:59, Uwe Brauer wrote:
    >> My understanding may not be perfect, but having considered a similar
    >> conundrum for a work-integration, I landed on the conclusion that SMTP
    >> and IMAP should keep working as long as you use app-passwords for
    >> logging in to your account. If so, that should probably be adequate
    >> for Emacs too.

    Uwe> I am not to understand the meaning of  app-passwords.

    Uwe> My email account has a password, that is used when connecting via ssl
    Uwe> or tls. But gmail will need a different protocol in the future, this is
    Uwe> why I am worried.

Your *Google* account has a password, which is what you use to connect
to eg gmail.com using a browser. You can also create one or more
separate 'app password' on Google, which you then use for a specific
connection to Google, eg SMTP. See
<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en>

Robert