Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)

From: Cesar Crusius
Subject: Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 10:01:56 -0700

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hi
>
> I am forced to use gmail at my university (the features google offer are
> a bit different to the personal accounts)
> and also for some private stuff.
>
> There was a discussion in 2022 about the following issue, but then
> google dropped this subject because of Covid, however now it seems to
> back:
>
> Now google keeps sending me message that from 30th of May 3rd party
> packages cannot connect anymore to imap+smtp via the traditional way.
>
> It is my understanding that it might be possible make emacs (gnus) work
> with gmail under those circumstances, that is using oauth2.
>
> Has anybody got that to work?
>
> If so, can he/she share its setting?

Google seems to be clamping down on OAuth access methods and those of us using
it to access GMail have been getting a message that our OAuth clients will be
blocked starting October 3rd. This is because we're using "out of bound
OAuth2". From what I can tell, the packages need to be rewritten to be
"compliant," and from what I remember from previous discussions, making them
compliant may be a non-trivial task involving registering an "official"
application and so on.

--
Cesar Crusius