Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 07:38:12 -0400

> Problem is, Google T&C require that the application ID is kept secret.
> For open source, this is a problem because we cannot add the applicaiton
> ID and keep it secret while making the code open source.

FWIW, it's also a problem for proprietary applications since the secret
will necessarily be somewhere inside the executable as well.  It's a bit
harder to find, and can be obfuscated to some extent, but as long as you
can run the code inside a debugger and you have enough time on your
hands to reverse engineer the workings of that part of the code you can
also extract the application ID.

        Stefan