Re: Emacs difficulties in linux console with ncurses-6.3 caused by kcbt=

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs difficulties in linux console with ncurses-6.3 caused by kcbt=\E^I.
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 13:45:44 +0300

> Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 10:41:46 +0000
> Cc: dickey@his.com, bug-ncurses@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> > I'm not against that, I'm against doing that in term.c for all the
> > text-mode terminals.
>
> I misunderstood you, there, sorry.  I'd misunderstood the code, and I
> thought (without thinking) that the translation functionality for
> terminfo settings would be buried deep in the C code, somewhere.

Some of it is, actually.  But users can countermand at least some of
that code in their customizations.

> > You could, for example, modify input-decode-map in lisp/term/linux.el,
> > and that would be OK with me, if there's no better solution for this.
>
> That's the bit I missed - that the pertinent translation into 'backtab
> is done by the input-decode-map.  So, as you say, all that is needed is
> to remove the <esc><tab> binding from that keymap.  I'll take back what
> I said about the problem being difficult to fix.
>
> Maybe we can write an entry in PROBLEMS and leave it to the user to fix
> in her .emacs.  Or maybe we can put code in lisp/term/linux.el
> ourselves.

I'm okay with both alternatives, since I have no opinion on what is
more important to users of Emacs on the Linux console.

> I don't know how typical I am of Linux console users, but I have my
> keymap set up to send a different code for <shift><tab> - namely
> "\033[4}\011".

Perhaps that PROBLEMS entry could suggest that as well, so that users
could have the cake and eat it, too.

Thanks.