Re: master e8488bcc9c: Avoid having font locking triggering unnecessary

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master e8488bcc9c: Avoid having font locking triggering unnecessary auto-saving
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 19:40:42 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 12:27:04 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii [2022-05-07 19:10:08] wrote:
> >> BTW, I wonder if the auto-save mechanism should use the CHARS_MODIFF
> >> ticks instead?
> > Why would we want to change how auto-save have worked for decades??
>
> For the same reason we just changed the way `with-silent-modifications`
> (and lots of other code which either used `with-silent-modifications`
> or used their own local copy of basically the same code)?

Not good enough: auto-saving is a critical feature, and I object to
changes that could make it less reliable, because it could mean users
will lose their edits.  By contrast, with-silent-modifications is just
a convenience device, to avoid annoying users with redundant "changes"
of the buffer.

What practical problem do you want to solve by that change in
auto-save?