Re: Tree-sitter integration on feature/tree-sitter

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter integration on feature/tree-sitter
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 22:12:37 +0200

Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:

>>> That’s too much magic to ask from tree-sitter.
>>
>> I didn't expect tree-sitter to do this for us, I thought the code
>> which integrates it into Emacs should do it, and hoped that code was
>> already written.
>
> Ah, I see, that would require people more competent than me on each of
> the languages and major modes to try using tree-sitter feature for
> major modes, and maybe raising suggestions and concerns along the way,
> like Theodor has done.

The quickest way to get this done is to start doing the work with some
mode, say C, first as a separate mode maybe on the features/tree-sitter
branch, then we can figure out later how to incorporate things?  If
there's any interest for this then I can work on that, and hopefully we
can land on something useful soon?  After that we can see how we want to
proceed?

IMO keeping such a mode in the feature-branch could be wise for the ease
of installation.  Unless there's too much toe-stepping.

WDYT?

Theodor