Re: Tree-sitter integration on feature/tree-sitter

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter integration on feature/tree-sitter
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 15:47:48 +0200

On 8 May 2022 12:33, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 11:19:31 +0200
> From: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
> Cc: casouri@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> You need the parser on a path emacs can see. Either we need to implement some generic parser
> installation functions in emacs, or we need this module or others like it. It compiles the grammar and creates
> a shared object that is read by emacs tree sitter. This is the tedious and error prone part.

I don't understand.  I thought tree-sitter itself was such a parser.
Why do we need another one as an Emacs module?

Because the only implementation possible for emacs is the generic parser. It needs specific parsers to be inserted. The two are orthogonal, but related.

Emacs cannot and should not contain such parser binaries. They are os and architecture specific.

Also, this way the parsers can more easily be fixed

Does that make sense?
Theo