Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 19:36:58 -0400

  > I disagree. The spec is open and anyone can implmeent it in any language
  > they want and can license it according to any license they want.
  > Google's implementation may not be open, but someone else could just as
  > easily write an implementation which is.

I have to point out that whether a protocol is "open" is not what we
are concerned about.  We do not advocate "open".

Our concern is whether the Oauth2 protocol can be used to communicate
with Gmail without using any non-libre software.

Free (libre) and open are different ideas and not equivalent.  See
https://gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.