Re: No bug-report address for OSM packge

From: Daniel Mendler
Subject: Re: No bug-report address for OSM packge
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 11:01:08 +0200

On 5/9/22 01:39, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I have an idea.  If you set up a division of the world into zones, the
> user could specify a zone to search within.  The amount of data needed
> for one zone could be practical.  If there are 20 zones roughly equal,
> one zone decompressed would be around 75GB, less than a local copy of
> English Wikipedia.  I carry that with me.
>
> It would be smaller if it used a more compressed format.

This is indeed possible. OpenStreetMap offers such partial database
dumps for regions. The main difficulty is to set up the map tile
renderer and the geolocation database. I cannot tell you how difficult
it is to do that these days. Maybe the OpenStreetMap project or the
developers of the map servers have some ready made installation and
configuration scripts available, which facilitate the process? However I
expect that it will still require some manual intervention.

> I think this is not quite on the topic or emacs-devel.
> Where is the best place to discuss this?

One could ask on one of the OpenStreetMap mailing lists:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mailing_lists

The dev, tile-serving and talk mailing lists seem most appropriate.

Daniel